There’s lots to do over May Half Term and our Children’s Gardening Weekend at Harlow Carr: 26 May – 3 June
Pop along on Saturday 26 May and say ‘Ello!’ to CBBC’s Mr Bloom, who will launch RHS Garden Harlow Carr’s new Children’s Gardening Weekend (Saturday 26 May and Sunday 27 May), which is designed to inspire the gardeners of the future to grow. There’s the chance to see Mr Bloom perform live on stage, and three lucky children will get the chance to meet him in person (Saturday only).
During the weekend, kids big and small can take part in a range of activities from 11am to 3pm. Make your own Thumbelina-style rock garden, learn about bees with the Harrogate & Ripon Beekeepers, or pot up your own sweet pea seeds to take home and enjoy all summer. Specialist plant societies will be in the garden inspiring the next generation to get growing at home.
Children’s Gardening weekend Mr Bloom: Saturday 26 May
11.30am: Garden Detectives
12noon: Mr Bloom Show
12.30pm – 1pm: Vegetable Olympics
1.30pm – 2pm: Prize winners meet and greet with Mr Bloom
2.30pm: Garden Detectives
3pm: Mr Bloom Show
from 11am to 3pm in the marquee on the Lower Tarn:
- Make your own Thumbelina-style rock garden with the Alpine Society
- Look at the funny faces of some of our weird and wonderful orchids with the Orchid Society
- Pot up your own sweet peas to take home with the National Sweet Pea Society
- Learn more about the role of bees in our gardens with the Harrogate & Ripon Beekeepers Association
- Discover trees the same age as you with the Bonsai Society
- Plant up tomato plants to grow at home with Plant Heritage
- Learn more about how to make your garden butterfly friendly and joining the Big Butterfly Count with Butterfly Conservation.
- Make your own recycled plant labels and create bunting to decorate your garden at home – run by Cone Exchange.
- Outdoor workshop – Nature House:
- Make yourself a butterfly and bee seed bomb to throw, sow and grow, watch your garden explode into rainbow colours this summer.
What’s on for the rest of the week:
Monday 28 May – Garden trail: Craft workshop: grow your own grass heads – 10.30am–3pm
Tuesday 29 May – Garden trail: Garden Detectives: shows at 11am, 1pm & 3pm
Wednesday 30 May – Garden trail: Craft workshop: grow your own grass heads – 10.30am–3.30pm
Thursday 31 May – Garden trail: Birds of prey with flying shows at 11am and 1pm.
Friday 1 June – Garden trail: Craft workshop: grow your own grass heads – 10.30am–3pm
For full information visit www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/harlow-carr/