Unfortunately a large percentage of landlords seem to state no pets in their rental properties. This can be due to the idea of extra damage, smell or potential infestations. A lot of tenants on my mailing list struggle to find their ideal rental property as they have a furry member of the family.
Here are my five reasons why you should definitely allow pets in your rental property:
1. Almost half of the population are pet owners (46%). That is a large pool of tenants you are not accepting.
2. Pet owners tend to be longer term tenants as they struggle to find other property to relocate to.
3. A clause can be put in the tenancy agreement ensuring that all carpets must be professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy.
4. A refundable pet deposit can be kept at the end of the tenancy for three months in case any pet related issues arise.
5. Pets are part of the family, would you want to be told you couldn’t take them with you?
Provided you pick a good letting agent who will regularly check the property and put the correct clauses in place, pets are nothing to be afraid of. I have a cat called Gabby and it doesn’t make me a bad tenant 🙂